As we journey through life we are presented, each of us, with complex questions, difficult problems, and needs that often require professional support and gentle guidance to resolve life's many mysteries, twists, and turns. It is through our exploration of our selves and the world that we live in that we continue to evolve and grow and make a peaceful and happy life possible. Not just for our own self but for those we love and the generations to come.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Patience

Sometimes in life we just have to be patient.
When I was younger I thought I could control more...no, actually I thought it was my responsibility to make everything right. If anything in the world might could be wrong or go wrong somehow it was my job to make it better.
As I have traveled through life I have not only learned that it is NOT my job, but also that I can't control things anyway, and furthermore, it is not always in my or others interests for me to do so anyway.
People used to quote that saying, "If you love someone, set them free. If it is meant to be they will come back to you...." and I thought it was a load of crap. It was one of those sayings that you are supposed to believe but don't because the need was so great you couldn't let go of wanting it, right? And then I'd doubt myself and think maybe that is really how I should think if I was a good and healthy person.
We can no more control these feelings than end world hunger when we are up to our necks in the emotions of it. Being told, or telling ourselves that we should think and act and feel differently will go over our heads until we work through some issues for ourselves.
Our shame about our imperfections, our selves, creates a need to try to control and make everything right. Failing to do so increases our shame and feelings of imperfection. It is a downward spiral until we deal with our shame and find a way to like and even love ourselves.
Once we love and respect ourselves it gets easier to love and respect others. To allow them to live their lives the way they see fit. We no longer need to control for outcomes in relationships, in our lives. We recognize the value of allowing others to find their own way....we can enjoy them so much more when they are there of their own volition, fully there with us.
And if we love and respect ourselves we can also trust ourselves and believe that we can handle whatever comes our way.
We can be patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recommended Reading List - Nutrition for the soul...

Join the Beachbody Revolution