As we journey through life we are presented, each of us, with complex questions, difficult problems, and needs that often require professional support and gentle guidance to resolve life's many mysteries, twists, and turns. It is through our exploration of our selves and the world that we live in that we continue to evolve and grow and make a peaceful and happy life possible. Not just for our own self but for those we love and the generations to come.

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Working Out and Getting Fit

How does working out fit in with all of my beliefs?  There are a several ways to approach this (I always say two and end up having more so now I just say "several").
ONE:  To be honest, the #1 reason is that being fit makes me feel better about who I am.  For most people, especially women, how they look determines a lot of how they feel about themselves.  I am not saying that it is the only thing that makes me feel good about myself, but it certainly plays an important role.
TWO:  I'd like to live a long life and all the research shows we live longer and happier lives if we take care of the body we live in.
THREE:  Exercise and eating right helps me maintain peace and equilibrium emotionally.  Having a regular workout, exerting physical energy balances me out and helps me feel more relaxed and calm the rest of the week.
FOUR:  Working out and exercising is something I can share with others, whether it's dancing or doing my Beachbody workouts, I am able to do it with friends.  Having good workout buddies can provide motivation for exercise as well as a fun way to share time.
In my life "exercise" seemed always to be something I HAD to do rather than something I DESIRED doing.  Except for dancing.  I'd make myself workout from time to time or get involved in some sport or go to aerobics classes.  I never really enjoyed anything except the dancing.
West coast swing became my dance passion and I learned to enjoy running on an elliptical because I could listen to music and read so the hour went by quickly (less painful that way).  Dancing was a great way to meet nice people, get out and socialize and burn calories.  But actual down-and-dirty exercising seemed to be something that others did, not me.
So last February I was trying to get David motivated to work out and it seemed the only way to do it was to join him.  We started P90X.  I really did not think I would be able to do any of the workouts.  Figured I'd just humor him and fake it long enough for him to get going.  I decided to only do what I could do and not worry about it.
Not only was I capable of doing everything (except pullups and pushups initially), I found myself really enjoying the whole experience!  My muscles were getting harder and I was finding muscles where I had never found them before.  My back and neck pain got increasingly less annoying as I built up core strength.  I was less anxious and felt more positive about my life.
In the past I had looked forward to coming home after a long day of work to knit and watch movies.  I started coming home at 8 pm raring to go, ready to get my workout of the day in before going to bed.
Everything has only gotten easier.  I spent some time doing the Turbo Jam series which is also a great workout and am now starting my third round of P90X.  This time I am doing the Lean Plan, trying to keep building on my upper body strength so I can get even better at pushups (which I have been doing for a few months without needing to be on my knees).
I've done other video home exercise programs and never felt like I got this much out of it before.  They keep my interest and every time I do a workout I learn more.  Each time I reach a new level of mastery I hear the trainer's instructions differently and can push myself harder.
My goal is to tighten EVERYTHING up and maintain the tone so aging can be a more graceful experience.
We are so excited about the whole thing that we want to tell everyone about it and invite everyone to join us.  We work out at home.  Come join us!  You want to work out with your friends and family somewhere else?  Ask us and we'll come groove with you somewhere else!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recommended Reading List - Nutrition for the soul...

Join the Beachbody Revolution