As we journey through life we are presented, each of us, with complex questions, difficult problems, and needs that often require professional support and gentle guidance to resolve life's many mysteries, twists, and turns. It is through our exploration of our selves and the world that we live in that we continue to evolve and grow and make a peaceful and happy life possible. Not just for our own self but for those we love and the generations to come.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Gratitude by Melody Beattie 8/1 (And my comments)

We learn the magical lesson that making the most of what we have turns it into more.
Say thank you, until you mean it.
Thank God, life and the universe for everyone and everything sent your way.
Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. It turns problems into gifts, failures into successes, the unexpected into perfect timing, and mistakes into important events. It can turn an existence into a real life, and disconnected situations into important and beneficial lessons. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.
Gratitude makes things right.
Gratitude turns negative energy into positive energy. There is no situation or circumstance so small or large that it is not susceptible to gratitude's power. We can start with who we are and what we have today, apply gratitude, then let it work its magic.
Say thank you, until you mean it. If you say it long enough, you will believe it.

Today, I will shine the transforming light of gratitude on all the circumstances of my life.

Today I think of this in two ways. What comes to mind is that in dealing with some frustrating situations with clients I have to take a step back from my personal reactions and both think more about what they are struggling with....that they are allowing me to help them on their journey to health and that being grateful for that can enable me to be more helpful, and also that I find people in my personal life to be in a different place than I am right now.
The past couple of days have been a struggle trying to help some kids. They seem to be more rewarded by their struggle and the attention it gives them than in hearing the helpful messages we all are trying to give them. Through this I am grateful to be learning more about what they are needing so I can be a better therapist.
In the personal realm I often feel barraged by other people's feelings and sense of pain in their world that I do not feel in mine. I don't want to live like that anymore and am grateful that I have found a way to be happy and focus on my cup which is more than half full. I wish I could give them this gift.
Again they don't want it from me right now and I have to find a way to back off, keep up my healthy boundaries and maintain the happiness I feel.

I am grateful today for having healthy boundaries at home and at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recommended Reading List - Nutrition for the soul...

Join the Beachbody Revolution